The museum was renamed the National Museum of Archaeology, History and Ethnography, and was re-opened September 9, 1910, in the presence of President Porfirio Díaz.
By 1924 the stock of the museum had increased to 52,000 objects and had received more than 250,000 visitors.
It was one of several museums opened by Mexican President Adolfo López Mateos in 1964.
Designed in 1964 by Pedro Ramírez Vázquez, Jorge Campuzano, and Rafael Mijares Alcérreca, the monumental building contains exhibition halls surrounding a courtyard with a huge pond and a vast square concrete umbrella supported by a single slender pillar (known as "el paraguas", Spanish for "the umbrella").
During the 19th century, the museum was visited by internationally renowned scholars such as Alexander von Humboldt.
In 1825, the first Mexican president, Guadalupe Victoria, advised by the historian Lucas Alamán, established the National Mexican Museum as an autonomous institution.The museum's collections include the Stone of the Sun, giant stone heads of the Olmec civilization that were found in the jungles of Tabasco and Veracruz, treasures recovered from the Maya civilization, at the Sacred Cenote at Chichen Itza, a replica of the sarcophagal lid from Pacal's tomb at Palenque and ethnological displays of contemporary rural Mexican life.It also has a model of the location and layout of the former Aztec capital Tenochtitlan, the site of which is now occupied by the central area of modern-day Mexico City.Located in the area between Paseo de la Reforma and Mahatma Gandhi Street within Chapultepec Park in Mexico City, the museum contains significant archaeological and anthropological artifacts from Mexico's pre-Columbian heritage, such as the Stone of the Sun (or the Aztec calendar stone) and the Aztec Xochipilli statue.The museum (along with many other Mexican national and regional museums) is managed by the Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia (National Institute of Anthropology and History), or INAH.The National Museum of Anthropology (Spanish: Museo Nacional de Antropología, MNA) is a national museum of Mexico.It is the largest and most visited museum in Mexico.In 1964 it opened in a modern new building that contained a school, a library of some 300,000 volumes, a film archive, and public auditoriums.Among its outstanding exhibits are the “Group of Figures” from the Olmec culture and the 22-ton Aztec “Sun Stone,” representing the history of the world.Many anthropological, ethnological, and archaeological materials in the collection date from the pre-Hispanic period.Exhibited on two large floors, these displays show ancient human remains and art objects; figures and pottery of the Pre-Classical Period that began about 5000 The museum was founded in 1825 and acquired its present name in 1939.